FAA registration N5490

General Discussion

FAA registration N5490

Postby Ian Grace » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Someone asked me this week about the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration - not Fleet Air Arm - confusing!) registration number of N-5490. It was registered in the US as N82KF when sold by Geert Frank to its first US owner - Ken French.

I contacted the FAA some time back with the thought of re-registering the Tiger N5490, which, by coincidence is a real FAA registration number. Here is their reply:

"Dear Ian, N5490 is in fact a revoked number, however, that does not mean that the number has been cancelled and available for use. The last owner is Darryl Phillips last known address 1800 NW 59th Terrace Ft. Lauderdale. If we receive a request from the last owner requesting cancellation and reservation of the number along with $10.00 reservation fee, we can then cancel the number and reserve in his name. After that Mr. Phillips would need to give you a relinquishment for N5490 and you would need to request reservation along with $10.00 reservation fee. Finally, a written, signed request from the owner describing aircraft by current number, make, model, and serial number which requests authorization to affix N5490 to your aircraft and the $10.00 fee required by the FAA to authorize a number change."

Having been nudged, I will write to Darryl Phillips and see if he would be prepared to relinquish the number. This will have at least some small advantages. First, as the aircraft will be finished in RAF markings, FAA regulations state that the N number must be applied to the outside of the aircraft, and it is acceptable to apply it in small lettering under the tailplane where it is fairly inconspicuous. So N5490 will be even more inconspicuous than N82KF. Similarly, the number must be on a plaque in the cockpit. Finally, it will be nicer to have the radio callsign November 5490 that November 82 Kilo Foxtrot. (Yes, I really have to fit a radio - and a Mode C transponder, but I am hoping to make the installation in the rear cockpit as inconspicuous as possible, and with aerials hidden in the rear fuselage and/or inside the fin.)
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Re: FAA registration N5490

Postby Ian Grace » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 pm

See http://www.n5490.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58 for the happy ending to this story!
Ian Grace
Site Admin

Return to General